Agroturism Chichubamba

Wednesday, October 03, 2007

ProPeru Service Corps
NGO Internship Volunteer Report
Angus Shiach
August 4, 2007 – September 31, 2007

1. Project Name
Agrotourism
2. Contacts
Jaime Olave, Coordinator, Agrotourism Project, ProPeru
Prudencio Herrera, President, Chichubamba Agrotourism Association
3. Timeline
Week 1: The first week was spent learning about the project and visiting various families in Chichubamba. We had a meeting with all the people involved in the project and spoke about what direction they wanted the project to go in. We also organized a 2 week trial period of English classes for me. On the last day of this week we went to Cusco to hand out flyers to tourist agencies around the centre of town.

Week 2 – 3: I spent these weeks teaching English to those who wanted classes. The first week went well and everybody showed up, but the second week the numbers started to dwindle and at the end of the third week we changed the schedule so I was just teaching on Mondays and Thursdays. At the end of week 2 we hiked up to Dos Torres to take some pictures and see what state the towers were in. At the end of the 3rd week Meagan and I showed 2 tourists around the various programs. They had seen a flyer in Cusco and wanted to stop by on their way home from Machu Picchu. They went to 6 different activities and stayed at Eufracia´s house.
Week 4: I had 2 english classes and spent the rest of the time visiting various activities and taking pictures. At the end of this week I traveled to Cusco to print out the best pictures so that Jaime could make a display.
Week 5: I was absent for this week because I was in Puno/Copacabana.
Week 6-8: During these weeks my English classed kind of died out. I would go to teach, but a lot of times the students would be doing other work and not have time. I decided that my hours would be better spent in the office. Jaime asked me to update the website but I had difficulties with that as Front Page is in Spanish. Although there are instructions in English, I am not great with computers and struggled with this task. I instead spent my time working on translating presentations into English and taking pictures that other volunteers can use to update the website.
4. Summary of the Project
The basic idea is to bring more tourists into Chichubamba. Many busses pass through Urubamba and it would be great if we could bring some of them to Chichubamba to help the residents. To do this we need to market the idea to tourist agencies and to prepare the people of Chichubamba.

1 Comments:

At 11:36 PM, Blogger Hitesh Vaishnav said...

Nice blog thanks for sharing..
Prosthodontist Orange County

 

Post a Comment

<< Home